Main Nav

a frozen party and letting go

Something you should know about me is that I can be a bit controlling when it comes to organizing or decorating for parties. I like to know that I have complete creative control over how everything will look and how the event will flow; and it is really hard for me to let go of this control. So at the beginning of the year, with my pregnant belly ever-expanding and my daughter’s fourth birthday fast-approaching I was really undecided about what to do to make sure that her special day was extra special (my due date was just a week after her birthday). This Frozen party post is in collaboration with Oriental Trading. I received product in exchange for my honest opinion and sharing it with all of you!

Justine Young, mom and lifestyle blogger, shares a story about letting go of control and a sponsored birthday party post with Oriental Trading Company.

learning to let go

Mike and I had never thrown one of our children a birthday party at any type of event place before this last party. As much fun as I knew my kids would have, I just couldn’t bring myself to let go of control and leave the prepping and party to someone else. However, my husband is a wise man and helped me realize that trying to throw a party (that would have to be outside in February because our house is too small to host a large group of rambunctious kids indoors) just a couple of weeks before my due date might not be the best idea.

Finally something clicked and I realized that in the end all that mattered was that my daughter have a fun birthday party. That’s it. Not the fun themed activities I had planned. Not the fact that someone else would be dictating what time we played and what time we ate cake. Not a camera full of Instagram-worthy party décor shots. JUST the fact that my daughter had a fun birthday party with her friends.

Guess what? She did–she had such a fun time at her birthday party (her very first party with friends and not just family) and was beaming with pride and excitement all day. She was thrilled to see every friend that came and every element in her party room and didn’t complain once that we hadn’t played with pretend snow or jumped in a Frozen-themed bounce house or consumed blue cotton candy. She was just a thankful kid who had fun despite the fact that her mother hadn’t been in complete control.

finding the perfect balance

I knew that my daughter wanted a Frozen-themed party and cake, but how was I supposed to give her that at a some type of party or event place with generic decorations? Luckily, after speaking to a local indoor playground center I learned that I might be able to have a little bit of say in things after all, especially since we wanted to book her party for a weekday when they were much less busy. So once we had reserved our party venue (still with a little bit of reluctance on my part) I got to planning the part that I could control a little bit–the party décor.

I turned to Oriental Trading and discovered an array of Frozen-themed paper goods, favors, and décor, as well as some more generic snowflake items that I added in. I might not have had much say in the bright murals on the walls of the party room (you’ll notice they’re cropped out of the majority of the pictures… don’t get me wrong, they were gorgeous, but fish and Frozen don’t really mix, unless you’re talking about fish sticks) but I was able to cover the brightly colored tables with a light blue plastic tablecloth (easy cleanup!), bring in my own paper goods and table decorations, string some snowflakes up over the windows, and added the snowflake wands to the fronts of our party favors.

It all turned out for the best because not only did the birthday girl have an amazing time, but the weather did end up being about 10 degrees colder than average that day and it rained later in the afternoon. Plus, it ended up being just a week before our newest little bundle of joy joined our family and my body had had it by that point. So once we left the party venue I was able to go home to a clean house and put my swollen, pregnant feet up to rest a little–bit win-win.

A big thank you to Oriental Trading for giving me back a little bit of control and helping my daughter to have the Frozen party she’d been dreaming of. I would also like to thank Funfinity in Auburn, California for being so flexible and accommodating with us. And of course, thank you to everyone who came and helped to make the birthday girl feel so loved and special!

Do you have a hard time letting go off control? Or do you embrace someone else taking on the party stress?

46 Responses to a frozen party and letting go

1. Kate February 7, 2018 at 5:48 am #

When it comes to parties I’m a total mess stressed with every detail. I’m nervous about how my house will look after 10 or so kids run threw it. If it’s in the budget I’d rather have it somewhere else like an event place to save my own sanity. I like when someone else does the set up and clean up. Food is usually included in the price and takes away the what should we feed everyone. If my child wants a themed party then I’m fine with picking out a few decorations and bringing them to venue.

• Justine @ Little Dove February 15, 2018 at 10:02 am #

It can definitely be stressful, but for some reason I enjoy it! LOL. However, after my recent experience I am definitely seeing that there are lots of positive things about having it somewhere other than your own home!

2. Sarah February 7, 2018 at 1:43 pm #

Yeah, it is so hard to relinquish event planning control, And I’ve worked as an event planner, so I’ve been on both sides of that! This was really helpful since I’m planning birthday celebrations for both my little boys in the next couple of weeks! And, the last thing I want to do is really stress myself out.

• Justine @ Little Dove February 15, 2018 at 10:05 am #

It was hard to let go of control for me, but in this situation it was the best thing for me! And for the birthday girl!

3. Annie February 7, 2018 at 2:58 pm #

What a happy little girl! Kids love birthday parties as long as there is cake and presents haha. I also used Oriental Trading Company for my sons dinasour themed birthday party 😄

• Justine @ Little Dove February 15, 2018 at 10:05 am #

Oriental Trading has so many great supplies on their website for any party! Thanks for your comment Annie!

4. Jeannette Anna February 7, 2018 at 5:57 pm #

Such a sweet read, congrats on the new baby! Although I don’t have children of my own yet, I feel that your advice here on “letting go of control” can be useful in so many different aspects of life, whether it’s in relationships or work, it can certainly be applied. Thanks for the good read!

• Justine @ Little Dove February 15, 2018 at 10:06 am #

So true, it’s definitely applicable to lots of different aspects of life. Thanks for your sweet comment!

5. Tami February 7, 2018 at 8:09 pm #

We are a family that loves “Frozen”. The party looks like it was such a memory maker.

6. Aria | Blogs by Aria February 8, 2018 at 4:29 pm #

the best parties for our kids are the ones that are at a party place. Oftentimes more than I’d like to spend but it takes away so much stress!

• Justine @ Little Dove February 15, 2018 at 10:07 am #

It was a really fun day, and yes, more than we would typically spend, but for this party it was worth it!

7. Bethany February 8, 2018 at 5:20 pm #

This looks like a great party and I love the favors. I bet she had a blast <3

• Justine @ Little Dove February 15, 2018 at 10:08 am #

Thank you so much Bethany, I was really pleased with how the favors turned out!

8. Ashley Newell February 8, 2018 at 5:42 pm #

I have scaled back so much when it comes to parties and hosting at a location is the best since I don’t have to worry about cleaning before and after!

• Justine @ Little Dove February 15, 2018 at 10:08 am #

And you are the queen of planning and hosting so you definitely know what you’re talking about Ashley!

9. Mary Leigh February 8, 2018 at 8:22 pm #

I still haven’t planned a themed birthday party for Little! His first, we just had our family and neighbors over and his second, we went to the zoo and celebrated with family after since my brother got married the same weekend. Year 3 might be the one I plan a real party for. I love how this turned out though. Your daughter looks so happy and really for the best that you could go home and relax after without dealing with tons of cleaning!

• Justine @ Little Dove February 15, 2018 at 10:09 am #

Oh my gosh, she was SO happy and appreciative all day, it was so much fun! The zoo sounds like a great time too!

10. Tamara Goyette February 8, 2018 at 8:44 pm #

She looks so happy. I am already starting to plan a Disney themed party for my youngest. You’re inspiring me.

• Justine @ Little Dove February 15, 2018 at 10:10 am #

I have been wanting to do a Disneyland-themed party forever, lol, I think there are so many fun ways you can take any type of Disney theme!

11. Rachel Catherine February 8, 2018 at 9:21 pm #

Awe! This turned out so cute! I love it. We love frozen too.

12. Joanna Clute February 9, 2018 at 10:18 am #

such an adorable theme for a party and you did a great job! I love having creative control as well so I totally get it.

13. michaela daisy February 9, 2018 at 11:05 am #

The party turned out so cute! It was nice that you still got to plan a little bit of the details to customize it more and your little one looks like she loved it!

• Justine @ Little Dove February 15, 2018 at 10:14 am #

I agree, it was the perfect combo of making it easier on myself and still getting to be in charge of some things.

14. Holly Lasha February 9, 2018 at 1:15 pm #

what a fun party! Frozen is such a popular theme!!

• Justine @ Little Dove February 15, 2018 at 10:15 am #

LOL, I know, it really is, but you gotta go with what the birthday girl wants, right?? 😀 She’d probably have a Frozen party every year if she could!

15. Stephanie February 9, 2018 at 6:21 pm #

I’ve tried to be less of a control freak in this area as well. It looks like she had a great time!

16. Brittany February 9, 2018 at 8:33 pm #

That sounds like a great party! I’ve been going simpler each year and might do something similar this year!

• Justine @ Little Dove February 15, 2018 at 10:16 am #

Yes, I’ve been trying to simplify this year too so this really did work out well, even though it was hard for me to let go!

17. Kayla February 10, 2018 at 8:37 am #

I had to giggle a bit at your comment of needing to be in control of every detail because I am the SAME way! And I’m not even a mom yet! ahh! I threw my husband a themed 30th surprise birthday party last year and planned for months and the day of setting it all up I was like a crazy person! Kudos to you for doing this all while expecting – and so close to her birthday! Everything looked beautiful and I’m so glad your daughter had a wonderful time! Great job mommy! ☺️

• Justine @ Little Dove February 15, 2018 at 10:17 am #

Aww, thank you so much! But yes, we’re obviously kindred spirits in the control area! It can be so hard Kayla, but in the end the birthday girl was happy and it all turned out great!

18. Danielle @ A Sprinkle of Joy February 10, 2018 at 3:36 pm #

Looks like it was a fun time! I have yet to have a party at a place yet as well. One day I’m sure I will.

• Justine @ Little Dove February 15, 2018 at 10:18 am #

It was so much fun and the birthday girl had such a fantastic time! There are definitely pros and cons to having a party at an event center like that!

19. Jennifer Maune | Maune Legacy February 10, 2018 at 5:20 pm #

I love the snowflake wands! Sometimes you have to take a step back, especially when you’re very pregnant and don’t have the energy to plan an extravagant party! You’re right, the most important part is that she had fun.

• Justine @ Little Dove February 15, 2018 at 10:19 am #

Aren’t the wands so cute?! Yes, ti was hard for me to accept, but it was the best decision for sure!

20. Cheryl February 10, 2018 at 9:50 pm #

Aww, this is so cute. I’m glad the birthday girl enjoyed her party 🙂

21. Samantha-Raising Twincesses February 11, 2018 at 5:46 pm #

Such cute party decor, my girls love Frozen too! Hosting parties can be so stressful, but in the end all that matters is that everyone has a good time!

• Justine @ Little Dove February 15, 2018 at 10:20 am #

Yes, so true! And she really did have a great time, it’s all about keeping the right perspective!

22. This Messy Season February 12, 2018 at 9:30 am #

This party looks absolutely perfect!!! Good for you ❤️

• Justine @ Little Dove February 15, 2018 at 10:21 am #

Thank you so much, everyone seemed to have a great time, especially the birthday girl!

23. Keala February 12, 2018 at 10:35 am #

I am so with you on having a hard time letting go of control! Thats me too! But honestly the thought of someone else doing the clean up and me just being able to go home and nap sounds sooo good! Maybe I should give it a shot haha.

• Justine @ Little Dove February 15, 2018 at 10:22 am #

Yes, I don’t know if we’ll go this route every time from now on, but it was definitely the right choice for this time!