Main Nav

scary stories to read with the light on

It’s time for another round of What We’re Reading Wednesday and I’ve been waiting for this particular post for awhile! I’m so excited to share some scary tales with you this month because what better way is there to celebrate the month of October?! Links contain affiliates, all opinions are my own.

scary stories to read with the light on

Dracula by Bram Stoker,  classic fiction

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, classic fiction

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James, classic fiction

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, classic fiction

The Shining by Stephen King, horror

It by Stephen King, horror

The Tales of Edgar Allen Poe by Edgar Allen Poe, classic fiction

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs, fiction

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson, nonfiction

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark compiled by Alvin Schwartz, YA fiction

Took by Mary Downing Hahn, YA fiction

scary stories to read with the light on

What’s your favorite scary story?
 Loading InLinkz ...

16 Responses to scary stories to read with the light on

1. Natalie October 4, 2017 at 9:22 am #

Oh my, I would die! Scary anything is not my preference…I get scared when I watch Care Bears! Haha, what a fun list for this time of year though! 🙂

2. Mimi October 4, 2017 at 11:04 am #

I love Edgar Allen Poe even if I’m not scary story type of girl!

3. Nellwyn October 4, 2017 at 3:04 pm #

I don’t usually like scary stories but I loved reading The Devil in the White City. I really like Erik Larson and would recommend In The Garden of Beasts as well.

4. Christine October 4, 2017 at 7:43 pm #

Oh heck, no freakin’ way! I can’t watch or read anything scary…I’m a total wimp!

5. Kate October 4, 2017 at 8:33 pm #

Scary anything is definitely not my preference, but I think The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde will forever be my top, because I had to analyze it for a college class haha! Great list!

x Kate

6. Jessica October 5, 2017 at 6:41 am #

These look like some awesome reads! I have to get better about remembering to read to myself, too. Spooky stories for October, are a perfect idea.

7. Emily October 5, 2017 at 8:34 am #

I so wish that I had more time to sit down with a book that I want to read. School has me reading non stop, but I can’t wait for the next chance to read something I pick out! I’ll keep these in mind for the future!

8. Christine October 5, 2017 at 9:45 am #

Ooo- I haven’t read a lot of these. What great ideas! It’s perfect timing for this time of year!

9. Nita Okoye (@inhalelovewithN) October 5, 2017 at 2:02 pm #

i love these books you listed! especially “Dracula.. i should get some of them.

10. Samantha Kuzyk-Raising Twincesses October 5, 2017 at 7:53 pm #

I wish I didn’t get spooked so easily, because I love reading a good book, and I love the idea of scary ones to read close to Halloween!!!! Maybe one day I’ll be brave enough to try one of the books on your list!

11. Francesca October 5, 2017 at 8:09 pm #

So many of my favourites on this list! Still I few I haven’t read yet, but definitely need to!

12. Lindsey October 5, 2017 at 8:12 pm #

Eeek, I can never read scary stories!! Haha I’m such a wimp!!

13. Bethany October 6, 2017 at 6:25 am #

Oh gosh, I bet these are scary! I don’t know if I can do it!! haha.

14. Adree | The Keele Deal October 6, 2017 at 7:58 am #

Scary books are not my favorite… unless they are scary children’s books!

15. Shani | Sunshine & Munchkins October 6, 2017 at 9:08 am #

I remember reading Frankenstein in high school and I think I also read the Tales of Edgar Allen Poe in junior high, but scary is definitely not my first choice when it comes to books, haha

16. ShootingStarsMag October 6, 2017 at 1:04 pm #

I love all things Edgar Allan Poe! I really do want to read Dracula someday.

-Lauren