This post is part of a collaboration with PinkBlush, all opinions are my own.
Well, if you follow me on Instagram you know that a couple weekends ago I turned 32. I actually felt pretty good about this birthday, not too melancholy about the passing of time or that whole getting older thing. I’ve been thinking a lot about how much I’ve grown and learned over the years and I thought a fun birthday blog post sharing my wisdom might be in order. Some lessons are serious, some are humorous (I’m looking at you #29!), but all ring true.
1. You. Are. Amazing.
Rock your awesomeness every day. It might take time to figure out who you are, and that’s okay. But never pretend to be something you aren’t because you think it will make people like you more.
2. Choose your friends, don’t let you friends choose you.
3. The world moves so fast that if you’re not progressing you’re moving backwards.
4. Go ahead, treat yourself once in awhile.
Whether it’s a manicure or a new outfit, it’s okay to treat yourself every now and again. This beautiful dress from PinkBlush was the perfect birthday present to myself this year; it’s so comfortable and I love the way I feel in it!
5. People can’t offend you unless you choose to be offended.
6. Go about life assuming that everyone loves you and wants to be your friend.
7. You can’t do it all yourself.
8. It’s not only okay, but it’s necessary to take time for your self.
9. Try new things, and make sure you keep trying them.
10. Never say never.
11. Carbs may be delicious, but they are not your friend.
12. Celebrate anything and everything you can.
13. It’s better to be happy than to be right… most of the time.
14. Count your blessings.
There’s enough negativity in the world, appreciate everything you have now and you’ll be swimming in joy.
15. Step out of your comfort zone once in awhile.
16. Be the bigger person.
17. Telling the truth is easier than remembering a lie.
18. The Lord’s plans for us are better than what we have planned for ourselves.
Oh goodness, how I wish I had learned this years ago. Through the trials in my life I’ve always known that He loves me, but it took me awhile to realize that He knows me so much better than I know myself and His plans are much better than mine.
19. Be present.
20. Don’t just jump on bandwagons, form your own opinions.
21. Happiness is a choice.
22. Time speeds up as you get older.
23. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.
24. The grass is greener where you water it.
Things that are important in this life need to be nurtured. If you find yourself unhappy with your home, work, marriage, etc, you might just need to tend to it a little better. Put in the work and the reward may be greener grass right where you are.
25. Learn to say no…
26. … but also learn to say yes.
27. Treat others the way you want to be treated.
28. Don’t worry about being overdressed.
I wore this floral maxi dress the other night for a girl’s night out and when my sister saw me she felt underdressed. I told her, “Don’t! I decided a long time I wouldn’t worry about being overdressed or underdressed for anything, I was just going to wear what I wanted and feel confident!” Life is too short to worry about what you’re wearing or to put off wearing something special for a “special” occasion, your whole life should be a special occasion, celebrate it (see #12).
29. Online shopping will save your sanity.
30. Stand strong in your convictions.
31. Stop procrastinating. Right this second.
32. Be content in the now.
Don’t spend your time wishing for someday or something. Love who you are, love what you have. Goals are great, but don’t let the pursuit of those dreams consume your life.