Main Nav

for the birds

Growing up in southern California, birds were pretty much just seen as a nuisance. I mean, we had a pool, and flocking birds=bird poop in the pool. At our high school, we had no covered area for eating so it was practically a guarantee that you would get pooped on sometime during your four years there (I never did, but probably about 80% of graduating seniors could declare that they’d had the honor of a seagull pooping on them).
Then we moved to other places, with pretty birds other than seagulls and pigeons and I came to appreciate them a little bit. I guess they’re not all bad.

Mike and I were Cub Scout leaders when we lived in Lubbock and one of the activities that we did with the boys was make little bird feeders from a pre-assembled kit. Once we opened the boxes we discovered they were pretty cheapo, the nails included with it were teeny tiny and a lot of them bent as we pounded them in. But still, the boys had fun and  I must have had some sentimental attachment to it because somehow it followed us to San Antonio, then our rental house here in California, and finally this house. Uncharacteristic of me to hold on to something that we don’t use and is falling apart, but it was in a box with some other items in the garage and I didn’t really think about it.

In my attempt to #finishallthethings before baby comes (nesting, plus Spring fever have collided into the perfect storm), I’ve been going through things in the garage with my husband and I came across our little, sad bird feeder once again.
You can see in the picture that some of the nails were popping out, it really wasn’t very sturdy and the bottom felt like it might fall off at any moment. Plus the wood was pretty grungy. I almost just tossed it in the trash, but then I though, eh, why not just hang it in a tree, kids might get a kick out of it.
I like to give my kids a thrill.

Three coats of Rust-Oleum’s colonial red (which I already had on hand, and yes, it took three coats to cover up all the wood grain and everything) and a couple of extra nails for security and that bad boy went up in a tree to attract all the flying poopers in the neighborhood.
And yes, I realize that it’s supposed to have birdseed in it. I’ll get there, one thing at a time people, one thing at a time.

18 Responses to for the birds

1. Emily, Our house now a home April 20, 2015 at 1:55 pm #

I grew up in southern California too, and we had a quad where we ate. The birds would line up on the buildings roof and then dive bomb all of us on the quad. One of my best friends did get pooped on and it was tragic for all of us. Living in Wisconsin now, the birds are a wonderful thing to have. My kid's just painted bird feeders and we put them up in our yard.

2. Chelsea Hetzel April 20, 2015 at 1:57 pm #

So cute- I've always wanted a bird feeder! I remember when we used to make them as kids with empty toilet paper rolls, peanut butter, and birdseed πŸ™‚ Brings back memories. I live in Wisconsin as well!

3. Erin Branscom April 20, 2015 at 3:05 pm #

what a cute little bird feeder! πŸ™‚

4. Susannah April 20, 2015 at 4:38 pm #

Awww… It's so cute!!!! I love birdfeeders – anything to bring gorgeous birds to the yard!

5. Hall Around Texas April 20, 2015 at 5:26 pm #

Every time we visit the beach I am usually the lucky one that gets pooped on! And to be 100% honest…I am terrified of birds! I like the from afar, but freak out if they get close. I do love my hummingbirds, though! I could watch those little creatures all day. They are so interesting! I love your birdhouse! I want to get a couple for my trees!!

6. Tonya Marie April 20, 2015 at 6:34 pm #

That's adorable. My daughter just made a bird house in Girl Scouts. I haven't gotten it hung yet but I need to! Thanks for the reminder! lol

7. Lisa Byron April 20, 2015 at 6:36 pm #

You just had me laughing! My daughter has a bird feeder she and her Grandfather built a few years ago sitting in our garage. We don't have any established trees since it is a new subdivision or that house would be hanging out there attracting poopers too! Yours looks really cute though! You don't have to add feed as long as the kids see it you should be find. πŸ™‚

8. Chrissy + Nate April 20, 2015 at 7:59 pm #

Aww what a sweet memory to have though! And love that red color πŸ™‚

9. Justine Y @ Little Dove Creations April 20, 2015 at 9:04 pm #

Yep, we called our quad "the bowl", cause it was sunk below the surface of the ground. Dang birds, you KNOW they plan it!

10. Justine Y @ Little Dove Creations April 20, 2015 at 9:05 pm #

I totally remember making ones with peanut butter and birdseed! Good times. πŸ™‚

11. Justine Y @ Little Dove Creations April 20, 2015 at 9:06 pm #

I agree, I LOVE hummingbirds. When I was a teenager, we had an adult leader who was also terrified of birds, I still remember one beach trip that had a lot or running and yelling at it. πŸ™‚

12. Justine Y @ Little Dove Creations April 20, 2015 at 9:12 pm #

Maybe you could hang it from an eave outside your window where your daughter could see it. πŸ™‚ And that's true, I guess I don't HAVE to put birdseed in it… "gee guys, I don't know WHY the birdies won't come eat, maybe they're just not hungry"…

13. Natalie Busch April 20, 2015 at 9:43 pm #

How sweet. I love sentimental stuff like that. My son is a Tiger Cub right now.

14. Olivia Schwab April 20, 2015 at 10:00 pm #

What a great bird feeder! Love that you guys had fun with it!

15. Angie Scheie April 21, 2015 at 2:43 am #

Cute! I love the red :-). I've always been intrigued by bird feeders/birds and definitely want one someday!

16. cindyparrett.com April 21, 2015 at 4:27 am #

That's cute! I think I'll go dig the one we bought out and finish it too.

17. Brooke Knipp April 21, 2015 at 4:42 am #

Ha! "All the flying poopers" πŸ™‚ It's very cute and the sentimental attachment makes it worth saving! Gotta love what a slapping a few coats of paint on will do for a thing. Oh dear, that was such a poor sentence.I apologize. But it's late and that's what I've got right now. As usual, you made me laugh πŸ™‚

18. Kate Pace April 21, 2015 at 6:11 pm #

When Vaught's a little older, I would love to make one of these with him. You forget when you're older how magical watching birds really is! I hope he enjoys bird watching like we do!